Equine Assisted Psychotherapy involves experiential learning from activities done with a horse or horses. The activities, how you approach the tasks, and what surfaces for you in the process become a metaphor for other areas of your life. The learning is in the here and now, therefore experiential learning is lasting. The experiences with the horses can be used to:
- Discover new things about yourself
- Increase trust in yourself and others
- Develop new strategies
- Enhance emotional flexibility
- Understand relationships in your life
- Increase self esteem
- Enhance team building
Specially trained certified Equine Assisted Psychotherapy professionals take you through a process with the horses and facilitate the lessons you are learning.
- You don’t ride the horses.
- You do activities with the horses that bring about enhanced self knowledge.
- They give you immediate feedback about yourself by mirroring your emotions and your behavior.
- You learn to react differently.
- And the changes you make are lasting.
Whatever your issues are, they surface with a horse!
There are a variety of areas that can be addressed by Equine Assisted Psychotherapy including:
- Personal issues
- Focus problems and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder
- Social anxiety or shyness
- Anger and acting out
- Grief and loss
- Poor self-esteem
- Interpersonal relationships